I am currently an Associate Professor in the School of Computer Science at the University of Nottingham in Nottingham, UK. This is my research group page (to be updated).
My main research interest is Data Science, particularly human-centred machine learning that combines algorithms with human expertise. This is known as Visual Analytics and effective for Big Data such as social media (some examples). I received a few awards and funding for my work. Drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any question.
There are fully funded PhD positions starting September 2023 (see the Projects page for details). It will be a big plus if you have industry programming experience or equivalent (such as open-source project experience). I would recommend start with an intern project, which can be done remotely online. For project ideas, again have a look of the Projects page.
- RAMP VIS – Visual Analytics for Covid-19 (2021-2022, £430,000)EPSRC, 2021-2022, £430,000 This is a collaborative efforts with many visualisation researchers across the UK to provide visual analytics support in the fight against Covid-19. It started as a volunteer […]
- God, the Oracle, and the Nightclub Bouncer: Can human dignity be modelled in an AI-based decision support system for post-Covid health certification (2020-2021, £50,000)Funder: ESPRC Network Plus SPRITE+ Date: 2020 – 2021 Funding: £50,000 Partner: Birmingham City University, King’s College London, Cardiff University, University of Exeter, Trilateral Research Ltd. In this project we […]
- Behaviour analytics for defence and security (2019, £80,000)Funder: Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl), UK Date: 2019 Funding: £80,000 Partner: MASS Ltd In this project, we use the human-machine teaming approach to design a new visual analytics […]
- Provectories: Embedding-based Analysis of Interaction Provenance DataIEEE Transaction on Visualisation and Computer Graphics (TVCG) Understanding user behavior patterns and visual analysis strategies is a long-standing challenge. Existing approaches rely largely on time-consuming manual processes such as […]
- RAMPVIS: Answering the Challenges of Building Visualisation Capabilities for Large-scale Emergency ResponsesEpidemics (journal) This paper describes the collaborative efforts from the RAMPVIS consortium to help the epidemiologists modelling the various aspects of Covid19, including the spread of the disease and the […]
- Survey on the Analysis of User Interactions and Visualization Provenance (EuroVis/Computer Graphics Forum)EuroVis/Computer Graphics Forum 2020 There is fast-growing literature on provenance-related research, covering aspects such as its theoretical framework, use cases, and techniques for capturing, visualizing, and analyzing provenance data. As […]
- PC co-chair for Computer Graphics and Visual Computing (CGVC) 2021The Computer Graphics and Visual Computing (CGVC) conference is the annual conference organised by EuroGraphics UK chapter. It covers everything Visualisation related, including graphics, games, AR/VR, and data visualisation. This […]
- Expert Fellow of the EPSRC SPRITE+ NetworkSPRITE+ is a research network funded by EPSRC, the UK research council on engineering and physical sciences. The focus of the research network is ‘Security, Privacy, Identity, Trust in the […]
- Co-chair for Workshop on Provenance and Visualization (ProvViz) 2021The workshop is part of the Provenance Week, which is the leading international conference on anything provenance related (theory, application, practice, etc.). As the name indicates, the workshop aims to […]
- Visualising the Sensemaking SpaceBackground This project closely relates to the Visual Analytics for Sensemaking project. Please check that project webpage for the introduction on sensemaking. A published paper describing the idea and a […]
- Human-AI TeamingBackground Extracting required information from documents is a common task in may research areas such as Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Psychology, Sociology, Law, and Business. For example, in a study to […]
- Visual Analytic for SensemakingBackground The goal of this project is to understand how users (general public or domain experts) make sense of data using data visualisation and/or machine learning, and build tools to […]
- Human-Centred Data ScienceBackground While there are some efforts to automate the process of build machine learning model (commonly known as ‘AutoML’), there are many tasks in the different stages of a data […]
- Michael Brobbey, PhD candidateVisual Analytics for Machine Learning
- Oladapo Ogunyanwo, PhD candidateMachine Learning and Explainable AI for Malware Detection
- Xiaolei Liu, Master by Research in Data ScienceNatural Language Processing for Solar Cell Material.
- Eva-Blessing Onyeulo, Master by Research in Computer ScienceData Physicalisation Evaluation
- Sumon Kanti Dey, Research InternEngineer Scientist at Leadbook
- Rexter Retana, PhD candidateCognitive computing for building information management
- Daryn Fitz, PhD candidateData quality framework for building information.
- Junayed Islam, PhD CandidateAnalytic Provenance for Sensemaking.
- Vaidehi Gupta, 2018-2020, research internTechnical Staff at Oracle
- Aiman Fatima, 2018, research internSoftware Engineer at Intuit
- Humzah Javid, 2018, research internData Scientist at STFC (MBCS)
- Shahzaib Khan, 2018, research internCo-Founder & Technical Director at CreativeBrains
- Reday Yahya, 2018, research internJunior Consultant at T-Systems on site services GmbH
- Phong Nguyen, 2017, PhD in Computer ScienceData Scientist at Red Sift, 2011-2017, “Spatial-Temporal Analysis of Online […]
- Saminu Salisu, 2017, Research InternResearch development software developer at Donau-Universitat Krems
- Rick Walker, 2014, Postdoc Research FellowAssociate Director, Data Science at King.com
- A.Ian Kruger, 2014, Master by Research in Visual AnalyticsData and Management reporting at Middlesex University, Started: June 2012, Project […]
- Andrew Cunningham, 2012, PhD in Computer and Information ScienceLecturer at University of South Australia 2006-2010, co-adviser, PhD, “multivarite […]
- Leon Beckett, 2011, Honours in Computer ScienceSenior Field Customer Success Manager at Box, 2010-2011, Honours (1st […]
- Harry Rolf, 2016, PhD in Computing and Information SystemsSenior Policy Analyst at Australian Academy of Technology & Engineering, […]
- David Fung, 2009, PhD in Computer SciencePostdoctoral Research Fellow at University of New South Wales 2005 […]
- Simone Li, 2007, Honours, Bachelor of Engineering in BioinformaticsEMBO Research Fellow at The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for […]
You must be logged in to post a comment.